Become a Subject Matter Expert
Here at CompTIA, we use Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for help in developing and maintaining our certification exams. Input from IT professionals working in the field is crucial to our ability in developing relevant and up-to-date exam content.
Assistance from SMEs is essential in developing quality content for the appropriate level of expertise. If you are chosen to participate, SMEs work with peers and CompTIA staff to create or review exam items associated with the technologies, skills and best practices used by IT professionals. We make sure to reward our SMEs for their valuable help and keep them well-fed! SMEs who participate in workshops at CompTIA Headquarters are provided CompTIA swag, a CompTIA voucher, and all the breakfast, lunch, snacks and (sometimes) dinner you can eat.
Become a CompTIA Subject Matter Expert – Apply Today!
Read here about the exam development process from a current SME.
- You must have experience with applicable technology and tools according to the specific workshop requirements. It’s preferred, but not required, that SMEs are CompTIA certified.
- Applying for a workshop at CompTIA headquarters means you must be able to commit to up to an eight-hour day, five-day work week at CompTIA in Downers Grove, Illinois. Downers Grove is a Chicago suburb accessible by car from both O’Hare and Midway airports.
- You must sign the CompTIA Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- CompTIA appreciates interest from the training community, but applications from trainers, authors or individuals who can profit from or materially benefit from knowledge of CompTIA certification exam content are not eligible to participate as SMEs.
- Please note that not all applicants will qualify.
The SME Experience
Click below to read profiles of three CompTIA SMEs and learn about their experiences firsthand!
In this blog entry, Dana Blouin, a Ph.D. student and self-described technologist and nerd, describes his experience at a CompTIA Network+ SME exam development workshop. “I was always impressed with CompTIA exams and the value they bring to the industry,” Blouin said, “but after having taken part in the exam development process I am even more confident in the quality and value of the CompTIA exams.”
Richard Rieben, a member of the CompTIA Subject Matter Expert Technical Advisory Committee, discusses his experience as a CompTIA SME and why he thinks other experts should get involved. “If you enjoy taking certification exams more than you should, the CompTIA SME community might be the perfect place for you,” Rieben said. “Don’t be shy! If you think you can contribute and you meet all of the desired criteria, consider applying for a program in your area of expertise.”
Ryan Frillman has a lifelong love of computers and community service. In this profile, he explains that his desire to help others learn and grow are what motivate him to participate as a SME. “When you participate in these events, treat it like a learning experience,” Frillman said. “That’s what we’re all here for.”